Are you looking for a software publisher who will help you set up a support solution for your website, e-shop or e-commerce? Download the Business Guide eBook and get expert advice from recognized companies.
Software house – how to choose?
Introduction to Software Vendors eBook
Choose a software house and conquer the e-commerce market
The online shopping craze is in full swing. The e-commerce market is growing rapidly. Revenues from online sales are increasing year by year. About 24 million online stores have already been set up on the global Internet. The number of mobile apps is equally impressive – in 2021 alone in the App Store and Google Play there were more than 5.7 million.
All this is worth investing in online sales, which will help organize a good software house.
The companies that have decided to present themselves in this e-book with the report know this well: Binarapps, e-point SA, Media4u, Norbsoft, Osom Studio, TBMS.
I invite you to read and familiarize yourself with their offer.
Tomasz Bonek, Chairman of the Board and Editor-in-Chief of Interaktywnie.com
Software house and implementation of proprietary or open source solutions
The absence of costs, the possibility of customization and flexibility make open source solutions designed to manage an online store break records in popularity. For example, the WooCommerce plugin designed for WordPress, the most popular website content management system, has already been uploaded to 160 million times. However, this type of solution will not work in all cases. Then it is worth thinking about the proprietary system and the cooperation with the software house.
According to data from Statista, less than 1.9 billion websites have ever been created worldwide. In turn, Siteefy, based on a study by Netcraft, reports that they have almost been implemented 1.2 billion, of which only 17% are active. We can therefore assume that only one in five pages is constantly updated.
The Netcraft study notes that around 250,000 jobs are created every day. new websites.
According to Digitalintheround, it has been operating globally for 12 to 24 million online stores. In the United States alone, they were 2.1 million in mid-2021.
Some data on the Polish market is provided by the National Court Register. According to him, there are already 51,000 entities selling products on the Internet in our country. This is nearly 14% more than the previous year.
The number of applications for mobile devices is also increasing every year. According to data from Statista, in 2021, more than 5.7 million of them were available on the two largest platforms offering applications (App Store and Google Play). There are also smaller platforms such as the Amazon Appstore. It should also be added that external platforms for downloading applications dominate in China, including one of the most popular – Tecent Appstore. The global number of app downloads, including 230 billion in 2021, is also impressive. It should be added that the barrier of 200 billion downloads was crossed for the first time in 2019.
Cooperation with a software house and the e-commerce market – the most popular platforms
Among the most popular solutions for selling on the Internet, we find WooCommerce in the first place. It is a plugin for the open source WordPress platform that allows you to turn a standard website into an online store. Besides the basic functions related to sales, it even allows the creation of partnership and loyalty programs, or integration with accounting programs. Iceclog and Statista report that the market share of this e-commerce platform is less than 30%, making it an industry leader.
WooCommerce also owes its popularity to the universal use of the WordPress platform and the ease of turning already implemented websites into stores.
Of course, WordPress and WooCommerce are often the foundations on which advanced solutions prepare software companies for large enterprises.
Among other popular e-commerce platforms we can find Shopify, Magento, MonsterCommerce, Virtuemart, Prestashop, Wixstore, BigCommerce, OpenCart or osCommerce. Shopify and Magento have a strong position.
However, the above figures differ by country. BuiltWith states, for example, that in the case of the US market, Shopify is more popular compared to WooCommerce, while in the UK the forces between them are evenly distributed.
Open source software for business implemented by a software house
Software for a business, including an online store, is most often chosen at the start of a business. Therefore, it is worth considering all the pros and cons when it comes to choosing free or proprietary software. If it meets the expectations of the entrepreneur, then it is not worth investing in a dedicated system. However, this happens sporadically.
In the case of free solutions, you can opt for platforms dedicated to online stores, such as Magento or Prestashop, or the WooCommerce solution, i.e. transform the content management platform for the needs of a Online Store.
- no fees – choosing a free platform will reduce the cost of running the online store, which will also reduce the business risk of the whole company
- customization options – open platforms for operating online stores offer many possibilities to adapt to your needs. The number of add-ons is so large that you don’t have to choose a popular model. This way you can also stand out from the competition.
- functionality extension – solutions of this type allow you to install extensions that allow you to increase the functionality of the website. These solutions also help to optimize the website in terms of SEO, as well as its maintenance.
- continuous development and updates – using popular open source platforms means we have access to updates introduced with the development of the e-commerce market. A large community using such solutions is also an advantage when a problem arises. Then there is a high probability that the problem has already been solved or will be solved soon.
- possibility of data migration – along with business development, open source platforms allow you to transfer your store.
- universality and flexibility – open source solutions are characterized by this type of functionality because they can be obtained for free and can be scaled and adjusted to real business.
- expert help – when introducing significant changes to the software, it is worth enlisting the help of an experienced person. The help of the software publisher and its programmers will be most appropriate here, since careless changes, for example in the structure of the code, can lead to changes to the website that will be difficult to undo.
- Paid Plugins and Extensions – Not all things that work within the open source platform are free. Some modules in the templates, as well as plugins or extensions that improve the functioning of the store, may require a fee. Others need to be created by yourself, which can be done by the software vendor.
- no support – when using the open source platform, we are on our own. Although the popularity of this type of solutions plays to their advantage, the administrator must face emerging problems alone.
- chess – the same goes for chess. His speech may force the employment of a specialist. This will result in additional costs and longer store downtime.
- no hosting and domain – the downside compared to proprietary solutions is the need to provide hosting and domain yourself. Open source solutions can only be fixed by the “engine” of the store.
WordPress and WooCommerce – can also implement a software house
According to WordPress data, the WooCommerce plugin has been downloaded over 160 million times worldwide, and it is estimated that around 30,000 are downloaded daily. time.
WP Signs reports that this solution is already used by more than 5 million active websites. 20% of sites that run on WordPress use a WooCommerce plugin. It is available in 66 languages, and in 2020 the revenue generated from the sale of products through this link exceeded 20 billion dollars.
WooCommerce is a good solution for companies that are just starting their adventure with online sales.
This plugin is particularly appreciated by small and medium shops whose needs for key functionalities are not as extensive as in the case of proprietary solutions. WooCommerce is also a good SEO optimization that does not require any additional costs.
In terms of industry, there is no distinction here. WooCommerce will work well in clothing commerce and financial services. It all depends on the expectations of the admin, the number of products in the store, their variety, etc. With a not too complicated structure, this type of solution will be the best choice.
If you want to scale your e-commerce business, along with expanded functionality and high sales volume, it’s worth considering a proprietary solution and moving from an open-source platform to a dedicated system. A good software vendor will help you with this.
Software house – how to choose?
A software publisher can create and integrate e-commerce solutions
In the case of free solutions, it is worth checking the customization possibilities offered by the platform. For example, in the case of Prestashop, many additional modules necessary for the proper functioning of the online store are paid for. This applies, for example, to the payment gateway or the shipment tracking system. However, this solution allows you to manage several stores from a single administration panel.
For Magento, many stock photos are available as part of the Adobe Stock integration. This solution also gives access to extensive customization of order parameters.
It is worth testing several platforms before making the final decision on choosing a system. This applies in particular to the usability and intuitiveness of use.
In the case of an online store, the possibility of extending its functionalities is essential.