The e-commerce market in Poland is constantly growing. However, it is also one of the fastest growing industries in commerce. To succeed, brands must quickly adapt to consumer needs. So what skills will be needed in the e-commerce industry in 2022?
According to data from the Central Statistical Office, the share of online sales in retail sales in January 2022 in Poland was 11.1% – compared to 10.2%. in December of the previous year. Moreover, the forecasts of PwC analysts remain unchanged, which estimate that the gross value of the Polish e-commerce market in 2026 will amount to PLN 162 billion, an average annual increase of 12%.
– Looking at how our world changes almost week to week, it’s hard to get a detailed description of what online commerce will look like in a year or two. However, it is worth referring to fairly constant trends which, even in the face of events such as a war abroad, should not be maintained – comments Robert Stolarczyk, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Promotraffic.
Analyze and be flexible
PromoTraffic highlights, among other things, the fact that e-commerce companies must introduce the ability to be flexible in their skills portfolio as early as possible.
– It’s a word that during the pandemic has had enormous importance for the survival of many brands. Organizations that have been able to move quickly to selling online have gained a lot or may have just survived the tough times. Currently, the flexibility of teams and organizations is also of great importance, if only due to the constantly changing trends and consumer behavior – emphasizes Maciej Stępień, e-commerce manager at Medicine.
Already around 80% of Polish men and women say they make purchases via online shops. It is a market that still needs to adapt its offer and its functionalities to the needs of consumers. This is why another skill will be so important – fast data-driven analysis. As experts quoted in the PromoTraffic Trendbook point out, this seemingly basic skill is often overlooked in the operations of e-commerce businesses. As they often explain, the strategies are superficial to carry out “design to design” tasks without implementation based on numbers and an analysis of what has already been achieved, and more, of what posed problem.
Main marketing communication channels
Brands operating in e-commerce will have to look particularly at the sales channels to see which should be the most invested. As Mariusz Serafin, marketing and e-commerce director of menswear boutique Lancerto, argues, it is important to maintain liquidity in the sales channel via smartphones.
– Currently most of the traffic goes through mobile. We are constantly studying the differences in indicators, such as the conversion rate or the average basket. In the mobile channel, they look different than in browser sales and you should use this data competently – we read Mariusz Serafin’s statement in the PromoTraffic Trendbook.
Experts also point out that it is also worth opening up to marketplaces. Major retail platforms around the world have already supported around 50% of internet retail sales. In particular, stores that have not yet moved to online business should consider whether the digitization of business should be immediately followed by a presence on platforms such as Amazon or Allegro.
– However, it should be remembered that there are no shortcuts and if we want to appear in the world of online sales, we must above all ensure that our services are of quality. What can be achieved by a well-managed e-commerce, and what cannot be achieved by a large marketplace, is, for example, managing the relationship with the customer and increasing their satisfaction and loyalty. Without it, we cannot think of success – thinks Robert Stolarczyk.
Cooperation with influencers
Flexibility and creativity not only require using different sales channels, but also adapting the forms of advertising to the possibilities offered by the different tools. It will always be interesting to work with influencers, but brands should not limit themselves to one platform. It’s worth looking at those apps that are taking new users by storm, like TikTok. Live streaming of sales will also be an important part of social media. Thanks to such transmissions, the customer will be able to find out in an accessible way what the advantages of the promoted product are, and in addition it will be supported by the opinion of an influencer.
– You cannot forget content marketing or SEO, especially in the area of product sheets. We spend a lot to acquire the user and familiarize them with the offer. The layer of maintaining attention, engagement, and evoking the right emotions that build purchase intent is still overlooked and underinvested. Technical, content and UX optimization of product cards is an important area to increase e-commerce sales – says Stolarczyk.
Software house – how to choose?